Tentative Fair Agenda and Details
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM
Schools Arrive & Check-in
We cannot admit any students or chaperones into the building before 8:30 AM
9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Computer Science Exhibitor Hall
The fair has a trade show format. Students should come prepared to ask questions at the booths.
CS industry professionals from Bay Area tech companies, representatives and students from academic institutions, and more will host booths, share their experiences, demo their newest developments, and answer student questions. Students may even walk away with handouts or swag!
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Breakout Sessions: Panels, Presentations, and Workshops
Students will also attend a variety of 50-minute breakout sessions on various topics (descriptions below).
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
Lunch and Closing Ceremony
The 2019 Bay Area CS Fair will feature booths from across the computer science community. Groups will bring engaging interactive elements, demos, swag, and more.
- Electronic Arts
- Evil Mad Scientist
- HTC Vive
- Microsoft Hololens
- Microsoft Xbox
- Pandora Media
- VMware, Inc.
Colleges & Educational Programs
- Berkeley ANova
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Code Sleep Repeat
- College of San Mateo
- Foothill College
- Make School
- Microsoft Philanthropies TEALS
- San Jose State University
- Stanford University
- Code.org Regional Partner: Silicon Valley Education Foundation
- UC Berkeley
We will have three 50-minute sessions, with most sessions repeated at least twice. Specific schedule will be posted when finalized. See below for tentative session descriptions.
- Pathways to CS: Come learn more about people’s journeys into CS-related careers! Listen to current and former students share their stories and experiences. You’ll also get to hear a technical program manager and a software engineer share their nontraditional and unique pathways into computer science. Leave with inspiration and advice to forge your own path to success.
- Careers in CS: Explore the diverse world of career opportunities and exciting projects related to computer science. Come hear professionals from local tech companies talk about various careers in CS, such as being a technical program manager, a video game programmer, a CS professor, an applied scientist, and a technical lead for a TV show. Learn about how they use CS in their current roles, why they chose that particular area, and more!
- CS Beyond the Classroom: Participation in CS activities outside of the classroom leads to success! In this interactive session, you will learn about different ways to get involved with extracurricular activities from Hack+, FIRST Robotics, Tesseract Initiative, and Girls Who Code.
- Leveraging Your LinkedIn Profile: This session will introduce you to LinkedIn, a professional social network. Learn how to create a professional profile, research internship opportunities, search for colleges, and more!
Making Art with Code: Learn to create dynamic and interactive graphics and audio with code. Walk through developing a project of your own in media-focused environments, such as Processing. This session is intended for students with basic familiarity with Java, C++, or similar. No art/media background is required.
- App Pitch Challenge: Do you have a startup idea? Work in teams to create and pitch your app ideas toCode Sleep Repeat mentors from Stanford University.
Programming the BBC micro:bit with Python: In this workshop, you will learn how to program for the BBC micro:bit microcontroller in Python. The BBC micro:bit is a tiny programmable computer, designed to make learning and teaching easy and fun. Python is used to do things from testing microchips at Intel, to powering Instagram, to building video games with the PyGame library. It even supports the efforts of NASA!
Cryptocurrency Mining Learn about the pervasive Blockchain technology behind cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ether, Dogecoin, etc. Spin up your own private network and play around with mining, currency, and transactions. Take your first steps into the exciting crypto market and explore the possibilities of the Blockchain industry!
A huge thank you to our exhibitors and workshops!